How Do You Care for a Tattoo Before & After a Laser Tattoo Removal Treatment?
Laser tattoo removal is a commitment. Unlike getting a tattoo it typically isn’t done and over with in only one treatment session. At Original You, most tattoos take about seven treatments, we do offer PFD Patches for anyone looking to remove their ink in the fewest number of treatments possible.
How you take care of your tattoo before and after a laser tattoo removal treatment will also have an impact on how it fades.
The Before – care:
- Avoid tanning in the area being treated at least 2 (two) weeks prior to treatment. Four weeks is ideal, but in Vegas we all know how hard it can be to avoid the sun sometimes. This includes self-tanners or sunless tanning products as well. The increase of pigment in the area of the tattoo can greatly decrease the laser treatment’s effectiveness and increase your risk of complications.
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of fluid the day of your appointment.
- Ensure the area to be treated is clean at the time of your appointment, do not use any lotion, makeup or sunscreen. If you have any of these on, you will need to thoroughly wash the tattoo being treated prior to treatment.
- Accutane of any other photosensitizing medication should be discontinued for at least 6 months prior to any treatment and should not be started while you are having your tattoo removed. We can always take a break from your tattoo removal treatments if need be.
- You may not receive laser tattoo removal if you are pregnant or nursing.
- Apply a cold compress or ice packs to the area (ensure there is a towel or cloth between your skin and the ice pack)
- The treated tattoo should be taken care of delicately for about 7 days after your laser tattoo removal treatment session (ie: don’t scrub the area aggressively while bathing) to avoid causing trauma to the area.
- Clean the treated tattoo daily allowing water or shower to run over the area, then gently pat the area dry. It may be sore for a few days after your laser tattoo removal session.
- You may apply Aquaphor over the area 2-3 times a day. This helps keep the area moist, your healthcare professional performing your tattoo removal will advise if this is necessary.
- Allow any scabbing that may occur to take care of itself, if scabbing occurs and you pick at them you may cause scaring.
- You may want to apply a nonstick Telfa gauze pad to the area to help keep it protected while it heals (especially if blistering occurs).
- Do NOT pick, peel, rub, scrub or scratch the treated tattoo during the healing process.
- Do not swim or use a hot tub for the first 2-3 days after treatment.
- Avoid sun exposure, if the tattoo treated with laser is in an area where you can’t avoid sun exposure, wear a sunblock of at least 30 SPF. Original You carries several medical-grade sunscreens for your convenience.
- Feel free to contact the office if you have any questions or concerns with your aftercare. 702-631-5009 Phones are forwarded after hours, if we don’t answer, leave a message we will call you back as soon as possible.
Visit our Laser Tattoo Removal page to learn more about Original You’s process and lasers.Previous Post Next Post